Friday, November 11, 2016

CHRISTMAS BABIES RARE



Christmas babies are relatively rare. According the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, August is the most popular month Americans give birth. Conversely, public holidays, such as Christmas Day, are some of the least popular days for babies to enter to world.
Nevertheless some famous names have their birthday on 25 December — there’s seminal scientist Sir Isaac Newtown, actor Humphrey Bogart and singer Annie Lennox. And what about Ariadna GutiĆ©rrez, better known as Miss Colombia, who just last week had the annual heartbreak of losing her birthday to Christmas compounded by winning, and then instantly losing, Miss Universe?
“I think it stinks,” said Mr Wilson, “It’s not celebrated at all and most people, even good friends, forget it’s your birthday.”
 “I’ve definitely had less birthday celebrations because people are too focused on Christmas. They’re too busy and it’s a low priority for them.”
Tennille Holgate, an advertising account manager, was the first baby born in Wollongong in her year of birth. She even made it onto the front page of the local papers.
Yet, subsequent Christmas Days would come and go with barely a mention of its special relevance to her. “My birthday was never celebrated on my actual birthday. Instead my mum would try hard to do a another party in November so all my friends could attend. I knew it was a bit unusual.”
Ms Holgate still needs to be reminded the day is partly about her. “Now we do the whole Christmas thing and it comes to midmorning, when all the presents are over, and someone goes ‘oh, happy birthday’ and I’m like ‘oh yer, happy birthday to me.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment